Costs applicable

Permitted fees



Holding Deposit


1 week's rent

A holding deposit may be due at initial stage of application in order to reserve your property and it is equal to one week's rent.

This is calculated as follows: (1 Month rent  x 12 months ) / 52 weeks.

Once your tenancy is confirmed and your AST is signed, this holding deposit will contribute towards the first month's rent which will be required prior to move in as well your deposit.

Please note :This fee is non - refundable if

a.        Tenant withdraws from the application

b.       Tenant fails 'Right to Rent' verification

c.       Tenant provides misleading / false information

Application process



We do not charge tenants any fees to register with our agency or for referencing . Only once you have found a suitable property and an application for tenancy is made, a credit and reference check is required (per adult looking to reside in the property and for any guarantor checks carried out).

In order to process your application we will require the following:

  • Completed credit and reference check
  • Signed consent form to authorise us to process your details
  • Satisfactory Right to Rent check in accordance with current legislation
  • Completed and signed Tenancy Application Form
  • Photographic identification e.g. passport or driving licence
  • Proof of address e.g. recent bank statement or utility bill

Once your application has been processed and credit checks and references have been approved, you can expect to sign your Tenancy Agreement shortly thereafter.

 We can accept one of the following documents to confirm an unlimited right to rent:

  • UK passport
  • 2. EEA/Swiss national passport/identity card
  • 3. Registration certificate or document certifying permanent residence of EEA/Swiss national
  • 4. EEA/Swiss family member permanent residence card
  • 5. Biometric residence permit with unlimited leave
  • 6. Passport or travel document endorsed with unlimited leave
  • 7. UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave

We can accept any two of the following documents to confirm an unlimited right to rent:

  • 1. UK birth or adoption certificate
  • 2. Full or provisional UK driving license
  • 3. A letter from HM Prison Service
  • 4. A letter from a UK Government Department or Local Authority
  • 5. A letter from the National Offender Management Service
  • 6. Evidence of current or previous service in UK armed forces
  • 7. A letter from a police force confirming that certain documents have been reported stolen
  • 8. A letter from a private rented sector access scheme
  • 9. A letter of attestation from an employer
  • 10. A letter from a UK further or higher education institution
  • 11. A letter of attestation from a UK passport holder working in an acceptable profession
  • 12. Benefits paperwork criminal record Once your application has been processed and credit checks and references have been approved, you can expect to sign your Lease Agreement shortly thereafter.




We do not charge tenants any fees to register with our agency or for referencing.

In certain circumstances a Guarantor may be required Guarantor's will be required to undergo a credit and reference check and will be required to sign a Guarantee Agreement.




Equivalent to 4-5 weeks rent  maximum

The amount of deposit monies required will be equivalent to 4-5 weeks rent maximum.

Your deposit will be held by the Deposit Protection Scheme during your tenancy and is refundable after vacating the property providing that:

Your rent is paid up to date.
All utility bills relating to the tenancy have been paid (proof provided to us).
The property has been well maintained.
Any other lease obligations have been met.
Under no circumstances can the deposit be used as payment for the last month's rent.




Equivalent to 1 months' rent in advance and paid monthly thereafter

Rent arrears


Payable at 3% above Bank of England base rate for late rental payments exceeding 14 days



Gas, electric , water , council tax, telephone / broadband, media payable for the duration of the tenancy to providers

Change of tenant on AST

£50 inclusive of VAT (£41.66 plus vat)

If you wish to add a tenant to the agreement (subject to referencing checks).


Lost keys

At cost of lockmsmith (VAT applicable)


If a tenant loses keys , in the interest of security, we would instruct a locksmith to change the lock and provide new keys for both the tenant and agent / landlord. The tenant would need to pay this cost.

Early tenancy surrender -

£175 plus VAT (£210 inlcusive)

If the Tenant vacates the property before the end of the tenancy, the tenant will be liable for all rents due to the end of the tenancy or until a new tenant is found and takes up a tenancy. A payment to cover the Landlord's costs of re-letting the property is payable if the new tenant moves in before the official end of your tenancy. 

Out of Hours Emergencies

Emergency Repairs

Charnwood Living Ltd is not open 24 hours a day 7 days a week so it is important that as tenants you act responsibly to avoid any issues that may be avoidable through due care and attention.

Please ensure that emergencies only are reported out of hours to email enquiries@charnwoodliving.co.uk. . An emergency is any situation that could cause danger to yourself or others. Advice on how to deal with common issues that can occur out of hours is listed below. Leaks and

Water Ingress

If there is a leak coming into your property from above you must make the occupier of the property above aware immediately so they can arrange for a plumber to resolve the problem or switch off their water. Let us know of any damage to your property and please use a bucket to collect any water and minimise damage. The council environmental health team can help if the occupier above is not contactable.

If you are made aware of a leak from your property let us know as soon as possible and switch off the mains water until a plumber can attend. This will ensure damage is limited and that the leak is stopped until a plumber can attend. The location of the stopcock is commonly in the hall, cupboard or by the kitchen sink. Tenement flats may have a stop tap outside the flat front door.

Out of hours: Emergency plumber - to be contacted in emergency only

Leicester plumbers - Simon - 07830 288382

Please note - calling the plumber in a non-emergency situation without prior authorisation may result in a callout charge

Gas Leak

If you smell gas or suspect a CO (carbon monoxide) leak you must call the national supply service (National Grid) on 0800 111 999, they will attend immediately and investigate the problem. Please ensure you contact us as soon as possible if a fault is detected and follow their instructions.

Electrical Supply

If you lose power to the whole of your property please check in the first instance that the problem is not a supply issue. You should see whether your neighbours have the same problem and notify Western Power if there is a supply issue on 0800 6783 105

If the problem is with your property only - check the fuse box in the first instance a fault or faulty appliance may have caused the circuit to trip. Put any switches to the on position that have moved to off and see if the power returns. If the trip switches return to the off position turn off every switch, light and socket in the property. Put the trip switches back to the on position. If you now start turning your lights and appliances back on one at a time the trip switch will trip when you plug in or switch on the appliance which is causing the fault. Do not use the faulty appliance. If the item belongs to the landlord inform us as that it needs replaced or repaired.

Out of hours : Emergency electrician - to be contacted in emergency only Glenfield Electrical - 07980 924988

Please note - calling the electrician in a non-emergency situation without prior authorisation may result in a callout charge.

Roof Leaks

Please notify us as soon as possible of a roof leak, and collect water in a bucket to limit any damage. Contractors cannot access the roof while it is raining so they will need to wait until the rain stops to attend and action any repairs. Roof leaks cannot be looked at out of hours, when it`s dark or in bad weather. The priority is to collect the water to minimize damage.

Broken Windows

If a window is broken or badly damaged, a glazier will not be able to repair this out of hours. The normal course of action is for this to be boarded up or temporarily covered with wood/card/etc. Please call an emergency glazier if this is required and let us know the next working day so a full repair can be organised. You should obtain a crime reference number from the police if relevant and keep any invoices.

Frozen Pipes

Pipes which come into your property from the outside of the building can freeze during the winter, this can also happen internally if your property gets very cold. Please ensure the heating is left on a low regular setting if you are not at your property over the winter to avoid pipes freezing.

If a leak from your property is detected, switch off the water supply at the stop cock to prevent any further damage.


We do not consider loss of heating to be an emergency in itself. If you contact a plumber out of hours due to boiler breakdown you may be liable for any out of hours charges that apply.

Smoke Alarms

If a smoke alarm is beeping intermittently then you need to change the battery, mains wired alarms also have batteries. You may need a flat screwdriver to open the casing, if there are not instructions on the unit, you can find the manufacturer's guide online.

Lost Keys

If our office is closed, we cannot provide spare keys out of hours. Spare keys can be collected during working hours. If you lock yourself out please contact a locksmith to let you back in, if the locks require changing you will be responsible for the cost of this and for providing two copies of any new keys. If you are unable to contact and need to make alternative arrangements for an emergency repair, please retain any receipts or invoices and contact us the next working day.

Arrange a Valuation

Selling or letting? Speak to the experts and discover the value of your property.

Charnwood Living Valuation More details

Property Alerts

Keep up to date with property in Leicestershire. Signup for alerts delivered stright into your inbox.

Leicester Property Alerts More details

Get in touch

Contact our local property experts today for advice on selling or letting your property

Contact Charnwood Living in Leicestershire More details

The Town And Country Agents

About us

Charnwood Living believes in setting new standards for both residential & commercial sales & lettings business. Working throughout Leicestershire, we bring you the clarity, style and efficiency of the latest technology & cutting edge marketing & we aim to be one of the best letting agents in Leicester. We are members of Moneyshield Client Money Protection - more details.

© Charnwood Living Ltd. All rights reserved | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Powered by MRI Software

Contact us

17 The Nook, Anstey
Leicester, LE7 7AZ

0116 243 0880
Company Registration Number: 10379290